Sunday, October 5, 2008

Lemos Farm, Year 6

Oh what a day we had in Half Moon Bay! I loved every moment of it! When we left I had a huge, satisfied smile on my face. To me, few things top Half Moon Bay Family Day, especially during pumpkin patch season. Maddie was just as ecstatic as Mommy was. We let her pick two activities at the farm. This year she was all about the jumpy-house and feeding the goats (goats are always a hit.) We gave her a generous thirty minutes of bouncing around the jumpy-house. Todd and I figured if we let her get the "wiggles" out first thing, the rest of the time would be smooth sailing. Hypothesis proved correct! As always, Maddie loved feeding and petting the goats. Consequently the dogs were infatuated with the smell of our shoes when we got home. I have to admit, I love the goats as well. The babies are, of course, my favorite. Aside from finding the perfect pumpkin, we also took a photo that has great Christmas card potential. I am always on the lookout for these ever since I discovered how difficult they can be to come by (I have strict criteria: everyone looks "cute", we are all looking at the camera and smiling, clothes look good, pretty background.)
I wish I could pinpoint why I love this pumpkin patch and Half Moon Bay so much. Fall is my favorite season. The pumpkin patch is so incredibly festive it can put anyone in the mood to celebrate the wonder of Halloween. Plus there is the overcast sky and crisp coastal weather. The ground is coated with hay bails and a plethora of pumpkins. Children are running around with ear-to-ear smiles on their faces. The highway is lined with pumpkin patches, nurseries, and fruit/vegetable stands. Seriously, what is not to love?!?


After lunch at the Half Moon Bay Brewery we stopped by a couple of nurseries in search of new climbing rose bush. Aside from finding a pretty climber (Jacob's Coat), I discovered an orchid lover's dream! Next to Pastorino's nursery is a little nondescript orchid greenhouse. Oh! So many pretties inside! I know the moment we walked in and my glazed over Todd secretly cringed and thought, "Lord help me! We are going to be here all friggin' day!" Their prices were amazing! The last orchid dealer I visited (many, many years ago)averaged $40 and up. I bought an orchid on sale for $10, and most were under $25! I did happen to snap a few photos to share:
Yesterday Skip and Mary took us for a spin on the Delta in their Cabin Cruiser. What a beautiful boat they have. I can see why they spend so many weekends on it! We spent some time cruising around and then boated to a tasty dockside restaurant. It had just rained the night before so everything looked fresh and new again. The sky was a mix of bright blue and puffy white and grey clouds. Plus it was just so nice to spend the day with Skip and Mary, our second parents.








What a busy weekend thus far, and it is only Sunday! Before I forget, I have a yummy and easy-squeezy recipe. It makes a great light dinner. This recipe came from the show, "View From the Bay"http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/channel?section=view_from_the_bay&id=5755208

Lemony Chicken With Vegetables and Parmesan

1lb. chicken

2-3 tbs. minced garlic

2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil

1 lemon, juiced

2 tbs. Parmesan cheese

4 leaves fresh, chopped basil

pinch of salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put chicken, garlic, and veggies in baking dish. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. Mix in salt and pepper. Top with Parmesan and herbs. Bake 15-20 minutes.

It is great with a long grain rice or fresh bread.

Such an easy meal after a late night at work, or when you just doing feel like applying a lot of effort into dinner, yet you want a tasty meal.

No comments: