Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I realize I am a day late in my well wishes, but yesterday did not allow much time for blogging. For the second year Todd and I hosted Turkey Day. I love to host on the holidays, It must be the domestic diva in me. I am one of those people who believes in the motto "the more the merrier." Nothing beats celebrating the holidays with a house full of people you love! We had a few less people this year, only ten. Todd was super-helpful in preparing the house for all our guests. Everyone lectured me about not overdoing it (which I learned the hard way a couple weeks ago when I overdid it for Maddie's birthday.) I took their loving advice, spaced the work out over three days and two people, and was able to enjoy the day. Plus our Thanksgiving is something of a potluck, everyone brings something. We supply the turkey, which Skip preps for me (I am waaaay too intimidated, and yes I know I have to get over it!), and I baste. I also make my favorite mashed potatoes, which always get rave reviews (seriously, Martha Stewart has the most amazing recipe), and my apple crumb pie (which pleases my husband to no end!)
I always get excited to set our table for the holidays. I get to bust out all of our Williams Sonoma porcelain and crystal that we received as wedding gifts. I use the table runner with cute little retro birds that I purchased on a trip to Tahoe. The silverware was a shower gift from our friend Alyssia. It is a vintage silver set from the 1930s. It came in a beautiful wood box. I swear it is one of my all-time favorite gifts. Every time I take them out of the box I smile. Alyssia and I had a conversion one day about how much we love antique silver. While shopping in an antique store one day she stumbled upon this box of silver flatware and knew it would be the prefect gift for my bridal shower. I was so touched by her thoughtfulness I almost cried when I opened it! And of course, in the center of it all was Maddie's Thanksgiving centerpiece. I beamed every time I told one of our guests that Maddie made it :)!
I had a great time at dinner. We were in such great company! Plus the food was amazing! I swear Thanksgiving dinner (and the day after leftovers) is one of my favorite meals. So delicious and hearty! YUM!!! Overall, a very successful Thanksgiving. Good food, good company, good times!






The Switzers-AKA: Our Bonus Family
My in-laws-AKA: Mom and Dad No.2
My parents and grandma
Todd and me

Tomorrow we begin decorating for Christmas. I can't wait to share some photos! Until then, happy holidays!

No comments: